Ross Post Office - Tasmania (DB2069)
Ross is a historic town situated 117 kms from Hobart and 78 kms from Launceston, and is a popular stopping point for tourists. The town is listed on the Register of the National Estate and is noted for its historic bridge, original sandstone buildings and convict history. Ross Post Office opened on 1 June 1832.
The premises consist of the shop which is attached to the residence. The Ross Post Office was constructed in 1889 as a purpose built post office and residence and was one of four such buildings constructed to that particular design in Tasmania around that time.
The residence comprises three large bedrooms, lounge/dining room, kitchen, bathroom, toilet and sun room. The laundry is contained in a separate outbuilding immediately to the rear of the main building. As the bedrooms and lounge/dining room are contained within the original sandstone structure, they feature a colonial design with 15’ high ceilings.
There are wood heater fire places in both the post office and the lounge/dining room. Gas
heating is also available in the lounge/dining room and kitchen. The kitchen features a gas
cook top island and wall mounted gas oven. Hot water is gas heated. As mentioned
above, the kitchen is certified for commercial food production which provides the
opportunity to continue an established local catering service if desired.
For further information please contact
Damian Burgess on
03 9888 6488 or 0428 558 590 or email